OldGamerz
Follow Oldgamerz
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: REACTIONS - Microsoft E3 press conference  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Uncle Orbius

• Site Administrator
  • OldG Ambassador
  • Inner Peace.... you goin' down
  • Origin ID: Uncle_Orbius
  • PSN GamerTag: uncle-orbius
  • Steam Tag: Uncle_Orbius
  • Twitch ID: UncleOrbius
  • XBL GamerTag: Uncle Orbius
  • Discord Name: Uncle Orbius#9550
REACTIONS - Microsoft E3 press conference
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:11:23 am »
So I stayed up late to watch the MS press conference. Here I share some of my thoughts and reaction. Please share yours too, I'll be curious to hear what you thought.

The new console
MS led with details and design of their new console, no longer referred to as 'Scorpion' but 'Xbox One X'. The design looked a bit bland, but the good news is it's smaller in size and I believe the power unit is built in, so a great achievement.

Due to the power of the Scorpion processor, it has an console industry first of being liquid cooled.

For me there was a complete lack of detail for the console at the press conference. They did emphasise it power credentials to much praise of the geeks in the audience. They did say the important stuff like 4k blu-ray but nothing on connectivity for example or whether the power button was going to be a real button this time.

Overall, I excited about the new console, but not enough to rush out and get it at launch as there is nothing compelling for me. Things might have been different if I had a 4k telly or monitor.

Games
Forza 7 had a great start with showing of the premiere global revealing of a 2018 Porsche, but not much else about the game. Disappointing.

There was a flurry of games, lots of which were exclusives. I was probably getting quite tired as there wasn't much that got me excited. Some of them looked gorgeous, others were just meh!

What stood out for you, what caught your attention, was there anything that was exciting for you?

Offline Expired One

• PC Gamer
  • Site Administrator
  • OldG Ambassador
    • Expired One YouTube Channel
  • How did you find us?: Xbox.com
  • PSN GamerTag: Expired One
  • XBL GamerTag: Expired One
Re: REACTIONS - Microsoft E3 press conference
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:15:06 am »
I'll watch it today and let you know but general sense in work was the x looks like a good machine but again no games and unless you have a 4k TV or really want your games running 1080 60fps then there no rush to x.

Offline detski

• Xbox Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • OldG Legend
  • I'm getting too old for this sh*t
  • How did you find us?: UK Xbox forum
  • XBL GamerTag: detski
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:42:55 am »
Pretty much what Expired said. As someone who is yet to upgrade to a 4K TV and is unlikely to do so just yet unless my current Bravia (that I'm perfectly happy with) dies, it seem like I would get a minimal upgrade for that hefty price tag.

With the previous "new gen" consoles you bought into the fact that it would be new games running on new hardware, making that price tag justifiable (not to the missus, but fine by me) but this is more like upgrading your smartphone to the next improved version. It doesn't make the previous one obsolete, it just improves on it. The specs are impressive, but that price tag is high. I know there's a difference in tax, but it seems the UK price is even higher than the US, $499 works out currently to £391, a further £60 is quite a difference.

Games wise, nothing was outstanding. Forza and the new Metro game looked good. It's got to be a bit meh that being able to play Crimson Skies again, a game for 2000, was a highlight.  ;D

Offline Fing3r

• VIP Member
  • How did you find us?: Server
  • Origin ID: -DD-Fing3r
  • PSN GamerTag: Fing3rMous
  • Steam Tag: Fing3r
  • Twitch ID: o0Fing3r0o
  • XBL GamerTag: Fing3r Mous
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:53:12 am »
I found the conference better then last years, but I was still missing a big exclusive that could blow me away.

The new console looks to be a powerhouse, but the name is a bit awkward but I get the idea that it's clear that it puts it in the same generation as the Xbox One and Xbox One S.

Forza Motorsport 7 looks to become that best racing game yet and console exclusive.

Metro Exodus was a nice surprise, really loved the previous games. But not exclusive.

Assassin's Creed Origins looks to become something nice again and hopefully makes the series feel fresh again. Again not exclusive.

State of Decay 2 could become somthing nice for the fans, but I'm kinda done with these zombie games (please bring on L4D3 8)) Console exclusive.

Crackdown 3 is not a game I'm looking forward to but there are people giving praise to the previous games. Console exclusive.

Sea of Thieves was a surprise to me, when it was revealed last year I wasn't impressed but seeing the gameplay last night I'm considering giving this a chance. It looks like it'll give some real pirate action never seen before  ;D console exclusive.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm had a lot of people cheering, just got the Original game on my PS Plus subscription so gonna give that one a go soon 8). Not exclusive.

Original Xbox backwards compatibility was a nice surprise for those wanting this.

Anthem was looking stunning, but I'm not sure if it'll look like this on release. There is not enough info to give a good judgement, but I'll keep my eyes on this one 8). Nothing was said about exclusivity so I recon this'll be coming to PC and PS4 aswell or else they would've said so.

Overall it was fun to watch, a lot of games were shown but most of it wasn't worth mentioning and I got bored with the whole exclusive this, exclusive that.

Looking forward to the PC gaming and Ubisoft show today, but I'll probably won't stay up for Sony's conference.

Offline Uncle Orbius

• Site Administrator
  • OldG Ambassador
  • Inner Peace.... you goin' down
  • Origin ID: Uncle_Orbius
  • PSN GamerTag: uncle-orbius
  • Steam Tag: Uncle_Orbius
  • Twitch ID: UncleOrbius
  • XBL GamerTag: Uncle Orbius
  • Discord Name: Uncle Orbius#9550
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 02:21:21 pm »
Looks like we have a consensus going on here at OldG, I wonder if that is reflective in the Xbox gaming world, ie, no need to rush to get an Xbox One X, and games where a bit it so-so.

I'm not saying Forza 7 is going to be crap, I just get suspicious when developers don't go into any detail, especially with a AAA title like FM7, you think they could easily have filled ten minutes just talking about new game features.

I did like the look of Assassins Creed Origins and Sea of Thieves, which, like Fing3r, I thought this year's demo beat last years, probably cos they had what sounded like Simon Pegg narrating.

madgeordie51

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 03:50:25 pm »
Turned it off half way through was bored no games that made me go I want. Forza 7 did look good but not that much better than 6. With this play anywhere I shall just run it on my pc for better graphics so the x box x box thingy it's a no from me

Offline Casey

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 04:17:18 pm »
Might purchase it a year or two down the line. At the moment I don't have a 4k TV, and have no plans to get one unless my current one dies. If my Xbox one dies I will buy an Xbox s which for me is at a more affordable price point. I appreciate it is more powerful then PS Pro but I think they should have tried to price it at the same price as that.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:19:17 pm by Casey »

Offline stonesroses

• Established Member
  • Hello I'm new here (see my profile page)
  • How did you find us?: MVG
  • XBL GamerTag: stonesroses
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 06:06:17 pm »
Same here. I did have a 4K tv for a few weeks but it was faulty so I just got a refund. I have my old tv which is perfectly fine but would not really benefit from the scorpios spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Curried-Cat

• Global Moderator
  • OldG Legend
  • What? Where am I?
  • Origin ID: Curried_Kat
  • Steam Tag: Curried-Cat
  • XBL GamerTag: CurriedCat
  • Uplay ID: CurriedCat
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 06:57:01 pm »
Turned it off half way through was bored no games that made me go I want. Forza 7 did look good but not that much better than 6. With this play anywhere I shall just run it on my pc for better graphics so the x box x box thingy it's a no from me

Some odd disconnects in the Forza videos. It's raining but no effect from the tires on the road and since cars seem to be floating.

Offline NeRvEaGeNt 78

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 07:52:53 pm »
I was quite hyped but I dont think ill bother not seen anything that makes me feel im missing out. I hate the fact that 4k TV does not come in less than 40 inches, for me thats just big to game on and I means I need to drop a thousand quid to get a bit of a graphics upgrade on xbox for me its just not worth that espeically when I have a PS4 Pro too. I may I may not but I wont be pre ordering. My PC does 4k if I want it and to a degree my PS4 Pro. Only games i wanted was Forza and crackdown a maybe some of the others were cool but just not my sort of thing, although pirate gamemay have some potential maybe . Ill stick to Xbox one with COD, FIFA and Forza I think as that will satisfy my gaming needs. Still surprised there was no WOW exclusive game.  Overall 6/10

Witty Panda

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 08:50:15 pm »
Thought the Microsoft E3 press conference was really good this year, love the idea of the new console looked really nice but feel do we really need it.

The games stood out for me, some good games coming. I am really excited for Assassin's Creed Origins, Forza 7 and most of them that they showed. And the new about the original xbox games was almost, definitely going to have to get a bigger external hard drive

Offline BlueBaron

• Grumpy Old Git Club
  • PSN GamerTag: BlueBaron777
  • XBL GamerTag: BlueBaron777
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 08:59:57 pm »
I have you know Crimson Skies Multi-Player rocks and game may be updated!

Offline nad2dare

• Site Administrator
  • Grumpy Old Git Club
  • Origin ID: nad2dare
  • PSN GamerTag: nad2dare
  • Steam Tag: nad2dare
  • XBL GamerTag: nad2dare
  • Discord Name: nad2dare
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 09:26:18 pm »
All I can say for now is that Sony, must be laughing now and are not going to retaliate to the xbox one x by announcing the ps4 pro duo or the ps5 ;).

Being non bias as I am, even though ms have taken bigger steps and made the effort in getting xb1 exclusive.  None of those game made me go wow. 

Ms are clearly trying to cater to the Japanese market, by acquiring some Japanese types game, which I personally think they should not have bothered, as the Asian market tends to stick with Asian products like Sony, which the ps4 all ready covers.  Ms should have used those resources into developing more first party exclusives/ ip instead of focusing on the Japanese market.

I have to admit this year of the three press conferences I've seen so far, ea and bethseda were bad as each other. I mean ea with it's usual annual franchise and Bethesda trying to squeeze so much out of their current franchises.  Ms/xbox conference being the better of the two by a little bit.

To be honest I thought last years games were better and the only omg moment I got out of the xbox conference was that life is strange before the storm was announced coming this year.  Other games that interest me are state of decay 2 and sea of thieves which we saw both at last years e3.

Forza 7 I couldn't care less about, as I'm more interest in what gran tursimo offers with it's gt sport and also the fact that need for speed payback looks more interesting then forza 7.

Metro Exodus and Crackdown 3 don't interest me as I don't like those franchises. As for the other exclusive that ms acquired, they don't looking interesting to me.

Even though ms had a large quantity of games on display I think they show over 40 games, only 5 of them appealed to me.  Which is worrying, because this year 2017, I've mainly been playing on my ps4, but that been mainly the ps4 exclusive titles and the occasional multi platform games.

I think Sony will show less games in their press conference, but they will have the better game and exclusives in their show.

I have a feeling sony are going to have the better show but we won't know until tomorrow.

MS/xbox conference  rating *** (3/5)