OldGamerz
Follow Oldgamerz
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Galaxian - Challenge  (Read 751 times)

Offline ZEN IOI

• PSN GamerTag: KENZIOI
  • Twitch ID: jiminyrizzles
  • XBL GamerTag: ZEN IOI
Galaxian - Challenge
« on: November 22, 2017, 04:37:00 pm »
We're into our dead period at work now, so there's a lot of web browsing, watching of films etc ahead for me. But I came across a website called www.free80sarcade.com the other day and found my absolute favourite game on there for the Atari: Galaxian.

So, I expect I'll potter about playing that for a while. Anyway,I was wondering if many of you guys play these in-browser games at all? Even if it's just when you've got nowt else to do.

If so, I thought some of you may be interested in a little on-going challenge of trying to get the highest score?

There's no leader board or anything, so basically the idea would be to do a screenshot and submit it here, if you beat the previous score (that way it's easy to check the last post as to what the current highest is).

Even if no-one's interested in joining in, I figured some of you might still get a buzz out of some of the oldie games. :)

Oh and here is the direct link: http://www.free80sarcade.com/2600_Galaxian.php

I've (hopefully) attached mine (13790). It's not showing up in the preview though. So we'll see.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:07:40 pm by ZEN IOI »

Offline fustuarium

• VIP Member
  • Origin ID: Volus_Pathfinder
  • PSN GamerTag: Fustuarium
  • Steam Tag: Fustuarium
Re: Galaxian - Challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 04:54:06 pm »
me, me, me ! I used to love that game as a kid. I remember playing for ages as a piddler when on holiday at Pontins once :)

Offline fustuarium

• VIP Member
  • Origin ID: Volus_Pathfinder
  • PSN GamerTag: Fustuarium
  • Steam Tag: Fustuarium
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 04:54:35 pm »
me, me, me ! I used to love that game as a kid. I remember playing for ages as a piddler when on holiday at Pontins once :)

Humm or was that 'Gorf'? Or are they the same thing? I need to have a look...

Offline ZEN IOI

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 05:24:14 pm »

Hah! Cool. I kept seeing that most people tend to think of Galaga, rather than Galaxian. It must have been the bigger game I guess, but we never had that one, and I have tried playing it since on an emulator, years later and I just couldn't get into that one. It is a lot harder I think too. But I think a large part of it, all the nostalgia is in Galaxian, for me. All the right sounds and everything. :) I can still play it for ages, unlike most other Atari games. Some are crazy bad.

Anyway just got a new high score! 20110

Offline ObiWix Shinobi

• Established Member
  • Hello I'm new here (see my profile page)
  • XBL GamerTag: ObiWix Shinobi
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 06:00:46 pm »
Looks like my boss will be having words.

Score to follow tomorrow :)
Be like water my friend!!

Aspergers isnt a disability its a differentability

Offline Fridarey

• Eater of Pies
  • Global Moderator
  • VIP Member
  • Stupoid
  • Origin ID: Fridarey
  • Steam Tag: Fridarey
  • Twitch ID: therealfridarey
  • Uplay ID: Fridarey
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:01:10 pm »
There was another great thread about retro arcade games recently, clearly this is meant to be!

Congrats on high score, Galaxians was in the bowling alley near my school (along, later, with the first X-Wing and Tron games which both made my head explode) but I doubt I have the chops for it now! I'm more of a pinball dude really :)

Will have a look at that site, nice one o/

Offline Ameseeker

• Steam Tag: masonto
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:44:52 am »
If any of you are in Cheltenham, Smokey Joe's cafe has an original Galaxian machine. It's free to play and I make a point of getting the high score whenever I go for a coffee. The worrying thing is that my eight year old has mastered it already and will beat me soon..

Offline ZEN IOI

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 03:27:05 pm »
If any of you are in Cheltenham, Smokey Joe's cafe has an original Galaxian machine. It's free to play and I make a point of getting the high score whenever I go for a coffee. The worrying thing is that my eight year old has mastered it already and will beat me soon..

That's cool. Unfortunately I'm not in that part of the country, i'm near Manchester, and apparently there's an arcade in Bury that has like a floor of retro machines, and a floor of modern stuff. Not been myself but it looks pretty cool. No Galaxian machine though, so it loses points for that. :)https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk

As for this game, I think my last score (20110) was a fluke. I can't get near it today! That said, I can barely feel my flippin' fingers as it's freezing in here today!! :)

Offline ObiWix Shinobi

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 05:58:22 pm »

That's cool. Unfortunately I'm not in that part of the country, i'm near Manchester, and apparently there's an arcade in Bury that has like a floor of retro machines, and a floor of modern stuff. Not been myself but it looks pretty cool. No Galaxian machine though, so it loses points for that. :)https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk

As for this game, I think my last score (20110) was a fluke. I can't get near it today! That said, I can barely feel my flippin' fingers as it's freezing in here today!! :)

I didnt know about that place so cheers for that Zen although if its in Bury i'm guessing the retro arcades are still in the same place from when they were current ;)

Offline ZEN IOI

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 11:16:54 pm »

I didnt know about that place so cheers for that Zen although if its in Bury i'm guessing the retro arcades are still in the same place from when they were current ;)

Hm? I don't know Bury. Only went once and that was to go to the market, but it's not an original old arcade that has been there since the 80s or something. It's a bloke's own private collection which started out in the back room of a computer shop. It got really popular so he decided to make a proper business of it i guess and moved to a bigger location – that was only a couple years ago i think.

Offline ObiWix Shinobi

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 08:41:31 am »
Dont worry it was a mild attempt at a Bury diss but if you haven't been there its wasted lol.
Place looks awesome though and they're free, my lads will love it so i'll definitely be paying a visit sometime soon, cheers