OldGamerz
Follow Oldgamerz
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Everything you wanted to know about Discord but were afraid to ask...  (Read 284348 times)

Offline Caribou

• VIP Member
    • Caribou World
  • How did you find us?: Elite Groups
  • Steam Tag: CaribouJohn
  • Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/oldcaribou
So TLDR; Discord is a free gaming platform that provides excellent Chat and Voice comms There are useful links below to help people setup Discord clients and detail its features.

Please Note:
In order to get full access to Discord you MUST be registered at oldgamerz.co.uk as a member and you MUST have posted an intro in our new members forum (here). Thanks!

Discord
Ok, so what the hell is Discord and why the hell is is appearing on the OLDG site? The costs of running OLDG are split between the site maintenance and the Team Speak servers at the moment. The cost of TS is not insignificant so we are looking at options to reduce that amount. Discord is one answer that we are looking at and it is looking promising so far (It#s free Woot!)!

It is available on IOS and Android and can be used in a browser or as a natice Mac/PC application.

One thing to note - Disconnecting voice channels and exiting the Discord app look for the voice connected at the bottom of the client and click the telephone icon to exit voice comms. Discord will still be running however and chat channels will remain active.

Links
Discords Help site
A Helpful 3rd party guide
Another 3rd party guide to Discord

If anyone has questions or feedback please post on the link below as this thread is open to admins and mods to post in only,

http://www.oldgamerz.co.uk/index.php?topic=30901.0
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:20:13 am by Fired Upon »

Offline Jasi246

• Grumpy Old Git Club
  • Ops... sorry about that..
  • How did you find us?: Recruitment post on World of Tanks forum.
  • Origin ID: Jasi_OldG
  • Steam Tag: GrumpyMonkster
  • XBL GamerTag: Jasi246
  • Uplay ID: Jasi346
Re: Everything you wanted to know about Discord but were afraid to ask...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 04:31:45 pm »
This also goes for console gamers. If you have it on phone or tablet you can chat away.. no PC needed close by.  :) Very cool indeed.
Pro Jibba!

madgeordie51

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 05:21:03 pm »
Cool can have a chat while I'm having a number 2 now

Offline Backbeat

• Mortar Sniper
  • OldG Legend
  • Friends don't let friends clap on one and three
  • How did you find us?: Gaming For Fun
  • Origin ID: backbeat50
  • Steam Tag: backbeat50
  • XBL GamerTag: backbeat50
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 01:08:32 am »
I already have Discord installed with a bunch of 'rooms' already subscribed. When I click on the Discord banner on the Oldgamerz Home page it takes me to a website to download and install Discord, which I obviously don't want to do.

So the question is .... how can I add Oldgamerz to my existing Discord ? Previously I was sent an invite by the owners of the rooms or provided with a link. I'm missing something here but can't figure out what.
Just let me hear some of that rock and roll music
Any old way you choose it
It's got a back beat, you can't blues it
Any old time you use it
Gotta be rock and roll music
If you wanna dance with me
Chuck Berry RIP

Offline EthanZ

• OldG Legend
  • Gunboat Diplomat
  • How did you find us?: WoT forum
  • Steam Tag: EthanZ
  • XBL GamerTag: EthanZakalwe
  • Wargaming ID: EthanZ
  • Discord Name: EthanZ
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 03:08:32 am »
I had the same problem - I got around it by linking to my Steam account and getting connected to my friends list on Discord, but we need a standardised install/register/configure guide to cover all the different ways of connecting, and links to the relevant sites.

This has just gone into test on the server to highlight these kind of issues, so the feedback will be important to help get it set up exactly right.  If everyone could post in this thread with whatever crops up using/trying to use Discord, it will help John get it configured correctly.

In the meantime, if anyone needs an invite to the Oldgamerz group search me out, I'm #8147 (I am not a number! Etc..)

Offline Caribou

• VIP Member
    • Caribou World
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 11:03:58 am »
I had the same problem - I got around it by linking to my Steam account and getting connected to my friends list on Discord, but we need a standardised install/register/configure guide to cover all the different ways of connecting, and links to the relevant sites.

This has just gone into test on the server to highlight these kind of issues, so the feedback will be important to help get it set up exactly right.  If everyone could post in this thread with whatever crops up using/trying to use Discord, it will help John get it configured correctly.

In the meantime, if anyone needs an invite to the Oldgamerz group search me out, I'm #8147 (I am not a number! Etc..)

+1 and thanks George - I am investigating how to get the whole thing up and running atm - I need to add guest and established user roles on the server to get some security going also.

As George said this was a small test that has got out of hand a bit but I will get there soon.

Offline Backbeat

• Mortar Sniper
  • OldG Legend
  • Friends don't let friends clap on one and three
  • How did you find us?: Gaming For Fun
  • Origin ID: backbeat50
  • Steam Tag: backbeat50
  • XBL GamerTag: backbeat50
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 05:23:15 pm »
I'm quite fluent in Discord ..... once I can get in :-)

George, if you could send an invite to backbeat50 please. The linking to steam thing is far too much faffing for me :-)

Are we deliberately not giving out the https://discord.gg/<insert oldgamerz code here> link yet ?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:37:30 pm by Backbeat »
Just let me hear some of that rock and roll music
Any old way you choose it
It's got a back beat, you can't blues it
Any old time you use it
Gotta be rock and roll music
If you wanna dance with me
Chuck Berry RIP

Offline Fired Upon

• Site Administrator
  • OldG Ambassador
  • Expired One's better half
  • How did you find us?: Expired One signed me up
  • Steam Tag: firedupon (don't use very often)
  • XBL GamerTag: Fired Upon
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:37:56 pm »

If anyone has questions or feedback please post on the link below as this thread is open to admins and mods to post in only,

Offline Fired Upon

• Site Administrator
  • OldG Ambassador
  • Expired One's better half
  • How did you find us?: Expired One signed me up
  • Steam Tag: firedupon (don't use very often)
  • XBL GamerTag: Fired Upon
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:39:39 pm »

Thanks to everyone who has helped to set this up and is supporting the testing

Offline Caribou

• VIP Member
    • Caribou World
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 11:26:31 pm »

Cheers Jenn - I was getting round to it :P