OldGamerz
Follow Oldgamerz
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Warmind - does anybody care anymore?  (Read 460 times)

Offline detski

• Xbox Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • OldG Legend
  • I'm getting too old for this sh*t
  • XBL GamerTag: detski
Warmind - does anybody care anymore?
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:19:49 am »
So as my interest in Destiny 2 came to an abrupt end and nosedived off a cliff around the time of Curse of Osiris, I didn't even notice that Warmind had been released. I saw some advert tile on Xbox over the weekend, and also noticed that a few people on my friends list were playing Destiny over the weekend.

So as someone who foolishly bought the deluxe/gold/stupidly optimistic edition is it worth loading up and playing?

I see a mixed reception critically (no real surprise there), but are there any Oldg enjoying playing it?  ..or even just playing it?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:33:58 am by detski »

Offline ObiWix Shinobi

• Established Member
  • Hello I'm new here (see my profile page)
  • XBL GamerTag: ObiWix Shinobi
Re: Warmind - does anybody care anymore?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:44:50 am »
I was adamant i wouldnt be turning it on due to my (well documented) dissapointment with all things destiny these days.

After the cries for help from a friend at the weekend i reluctantly updated and jumped in to help them out with the story.

I enjoyed it a tiny bit but thats just from the fact Destiny was good fun to play and i hadnt played it for months BUT i wouldnt recommend it as it just seemed lke more of the same drivvle.

The story annoyed me with its 'must appeal to teenagers' storyline (i can only compare it to the phantom menace :( ) and we got to the end battle in under 2 hours so for me thats nowhere near the length i'd expect for a DLC. i cant comment on the Boss battle as i wasnt a high enough level to enter it.

There are new weapons and armour which just seem like papering over the cracks of a broken game but from what i saw and how i felt playing it, Bungie would have to do something groundbreaking to draw me back into Destiny again...... Fool me once....
Be like water my friend!!

Aspergers isnt a disability its a differentability

Offline Uncle Orbius

• Grumpy Old Git Club
  • Inner Peace.... you goin' down
  • Origin ID: Uncle_Orbius
  • PSN GamerTag: uncle-orbius
  • Steam Tag: Uncle_Orbius
  • Twitch ID: UncleOrbius
  • XBL GamerTag: Uncle Orbius
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:51:00 am »
After watching the video below (a trusted opinion), I'm in no rush. I think this YouTuber gives a mature perspective.

I'll defo play through the story, but I have no appetite for the rest of it, as things stand

Offline detski

• Xbox Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • OldG Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:15:20 am »
Cheers guys, thanks for the video Orbs. :)

"If you were foolish enough, like I was, to buy the Gold Edition of the game, it's my view that it's not worth logging on to experience this new content" - That's a brutally honest opinion from a Destiny YouTuber.

Offline VoodooRaz

• VIP Member
  • I just do what Silentvoice says
  • XBL GamerTag: voodoo raz
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:02:36 pm »
As a big fan of D1 (Dets made me get into it!) I was really looking forward to D2, but the Gold price tag put me off. My thought being that I may more in the long run if I bought all the DLC individually, at least I'm spreading that cost over a longer time. So cost made me just get the vanilla version.
The 1st DLC was a joke, so glad I didn't but it.
I was encouraged that I could just but the 2nd DLC without the 1st, but having seen the vid, I'm not sure I'm going to bother.

For me, Destiny was about achieving things with your friends, especially the raids. We've almost done the D2 raid, but fail due to lack of back players since we all have real lives. This also shows me that there are less and less people playing D2.
The 2nd DLC appears to show a very short campaign and then A LOT (many times a week, every week) of grind to get a better light level and frankly I can't be bothered and have other, better, games to play.

It does make me think about season passes. I'm struggling to think of a season pass where us giving our hard earned money for future DLC that we haven't seen has actually worked out....

Offline detski

• Xbox Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • OldG Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 12:22:48 pm »
It does make me think about season passes. I'm struggling to think of a season pass where us giving our hard earned money for future DLC that we haven't seen has actually worked out....

Witcher 3 is probably the only season pass I can think of that was worth it, and although it gave a huge amount of extra content I could have just waited for the game of the year edition.  ::)

I'm done with Gold/Deluxe/Optimistic editions. I should have learned after The Division, but as a big fan of D1 I was foolish again. Now again, like The Division, I've lost so much interest in the game that I probably won't even play part of the Gold edition that I payed for at launch.

Offline Uncle Orbius

• Grumpy Old Git Club
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:20:24 pm »
For me, Destiny was about achieving things with your friends, especially the raids.
If it wasn't for Detski and Voodoo and other OldG, I wouldn't have got into D1. I then bought D2 (with expansion pass)...... because I enjoyed D1, besides, they got their shit together after D1: the Taken King, what could possibly go wrong?  :-[

It does make me think about season passes.

Me too, Not only will I not be buying any season passes in the foreseeable future, I won't even be pre-ordering. I've been bitten too much by the hype-machines

Offline ObiWix Shinobi

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 02:48:52 pm »

I'm done with Gold/Deluxe/Optimistic editions. I should have learned after The Division, but as a big fan of D1 I was foolish again. Now again, like The Division, I've lost so much interest in the game that I probably won't even play part of the Gold edition that I payed for at launch.

Exactly this mate.

I have just started the Division again though since the 4K patch, i forgot how good that game actually is before end game, when you dont have to worry about gear score etc.
L4 green weapons all the way lol

Offline Lord Madgeordie

• Respected Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 05:01:24 pm »
I was looking at just the base game the other day it was £15 but the total lack of people playing it I passed

Offline evilsunming

• If all else fails, shoot Detski.
  • XBL GamerTag: evilsunming
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 04:17:10 pm »
After the disaster of D1 at launch I would have advised anybody not to buy anything other than the standard edition.  The problem most of you came to D1 after it's year 1 fix. I'm not even sure if D2 will make it that far.

Offline UKCowboy74

• OldG Legend
    • http://www.oldgamerz.co.uk
  • PSN GamerTag: UK_Cowboy
  • Steam Tag: UKCowboy74
  • Twitch ID: UKCowboy74
  • XBL GamerTag: UKCowboy74
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 11:31:24 pm »
I'll have a run through it when I can find a bit of time seeing as I got the Expansion pass but not in any rush

Offline PorkCrackling

• keen poster
  • WoT loser
  • Origin ID: Porkcrackling
  • Steam Tag: porkcrackling8
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 04:49:55 pm »
So, going against the grain, I have been quite enjoying the current expansion. The campaign is very short and the boss at the end too easy given that I was able to respawn during the fight. However, some of the content after is right up my street. Theres a new type of public event which is quite enjoyable (and hard, for someone of my limited skills anyway). Theres also two multi stage item quests (at least I assume thats what you get at the end...) that are holding my interest. Finally, there are also a bunch of pyramid things to unlock all over the map...I like nothing better than a treasure hunt!

Anyway, its been enough to keep me interested longer than just the campaign and get an amount of value out of it. Given that our clan has virtually no members on PC, I daresay my interest will wane again shortly unless I suddenly become more sociable than I am normally inclined to be.

Obviously thats just me and all this may be of no interest to others, but not a complete disaster. Now if only I had a clan to try the new raid with...

Paul.

Offline VoodooRaz

• VIP Member
  • I just do what Silentvoice says
  • XBL GamerTag: voodoo raz
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 07:07:35 pm »
Well I finally succumbed to getting the 2nd DL as most of my fireteam were levelling up and I was stuck on 305 light without the DLC.
I went straight to the 2nd DLC (you don't have to get the 1st) and I am really enjoying it.
The video dude was right that the campaign is short and doesn't seem to have much to do with Warmind, but the endgame stuff is really good. I think in the video, the guy mentioned he hasn't done much endgame stuff because his light was too low, but this is where it's really good.
People who got the 1st DLC moaned because once the campaign was finished, it didn't take that long to get to the level cap and then there was nothing to do. This is not the case with the Warmind DLC. You hit the soft level cap of 345 reasonably quickly, but then the only way to get higher level stuff is to do the weekly milestones (crucible. heoic strikes, raid and nightfall)
There's a horde mode called Escualtion Protocol and this is really tough. I've made it to level 3 out of 7 once, but generally we get stuffed on level 2. It's really made for high level players as they hit a light of around 385. It is great fun though when you get a load of people together
Haven't started the raid lair yet, but again that's for high level players.
There's also 2 quest lines for guns and collectibles too in this DLC

So if you enjoyed the grind of D1, then this DLC is for you. You always get better stuff than you have if you do the milestones, so at least you progress, if a little slowly.

I went straight from lvl 20 (305 light) into this DLC, so was underpowered when it came to the final few bosses in the campaign, but they can be doe with a fireteam.

Send me a meesage if anyone wants to hook up, or if anyone is interested running the raid, the more the merrier as we all have real lives and people drop out. If you do want to do the raid, you need to be light 305 min...

Offline Uncle Orbius

• Grumpy Old Git Club
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 08:31:33 pm »
Thanks for sharing Voodoo, I haven't even given Warmind a look yet, even though it's downloaded and ready to go. Maybe I'll take a look at the campaign.

Offline ObiWix Shinobi

• Established Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 08:21:25 am »
Nice one Voodoo, if i feel the urge again i'll drop you a line :)

For anyone thats interested Bungie are releasing their season 2 roadmap today at 5 pm